Grundy County Auditor Rhonda R. Deters informs voters that the pre-registration deadline for the November 8, 2016, General Election is October 29 at 5:00 PM.
If you are not already registered to vote in Grundy County, you may do so in one of two ways:
1. Register to vote by mail: Voter registration forms are available on the Grundy County website which is www.grundycounty.org. Click on "Where do I. . . .?" and then click on "Register to Vote" near the bottom of the drop down menu. You may then complete the Official Voter Registration Form. The completed form should be delivered or mailed to the Grundy County Auditor, 706 G Ave., Grundy Center, IA 50638-1496. The voter registration form must be postmarked on or before October 24 to be considered on time even if it is received after the October 29 deadline.
2. Register to vote in person: Voters may go to the Grundy County Auditor's Office on the second floor of the Courthouse. Regular business hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM. The Grundy County Auditor's Office will also be open on Saturday, October 29, from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM for voter registration and other election business.
3. Register to vote online: Voters may register online at sos.iowa.gov. Click on Register to Vote and complete the online voter registration through the Iowa Department of Transportation online services website. An Iowa driver's license or non-operator's ID is required to complete the process online.
Voting by absentee ballot may be an option for those voters who will be unable to vote at the polls on General Election Day. Qualified voters may vote by absentee ballot in one of two ways:
1. To vote early by absentee ballot, voters may stop at the Grundy County Auditor's Office on the second floor of the Courthouse during normal business hours Monday through Friday. The Grundy County Auditor's Office will also be open on Saturday, October 29, from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM and on Saturday, November 5, from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM for early voting. The last day to vote by absentee ballot at the Auditor's Office is November 7. With appropriate identification, eligible voters who are not currently registered to vote may do so at the same time they are casting an absentee ballot in person.
2. To vote early by mail, absentee ballot request forms may be found on the Grundy County website, www.grundycounty.org. Click on "Where do I. . . .?" and then click on "Vote Absentee". You may then complete the Official Absentee Ballot Request Form. The completed forms should be delivered or mailed to the Grundy County Auditor, 706 G Ave., Grundy Center, IA 50638-1496. The last day to request an absentee ballot by mail is November 4.
Polls will be open at 7:00 AM and close at 9:00 PM on General Election Day, November 8. All Election Day voting sites in Grundy County are fully accessible to persons with physical disabilities. Each site also has a voter assist ballot marking device that allows persons with disabilities to vote independently. This device allows voters to make their selections using audio read-back, touch pad and touch screen. The touch screen option provides magnification and reverse black and white images. Voters unable to see the screen may have the screen turned off and use only the audio read-back and touch pad features. The audio read-back feature provides all ballot instructions, choices, and selections in an audio format using headphones. After making selections with the ballot marking device via touch pad or touch screen, the device will mark the voter's paper ballot and the voter will insert their marked ballot in the regular ballot tabulator used for all other ballots at their precinct. In addition, voters may choose another person to assist them to vote, except their employer, employer's agent, or an officer or agent of the voter's union.
Curb-side voting is also available at each site for voters unable to leave their vehicle. Voters wishing to use the curb-side option should bring someone with them and contact the voting site or Auditor's Office with an expected time of arrival.
Please call the Grundy County Auditor's Office at 319-824-3122 if you have any questions.